Friday, July 16, 2010

On Baby Watch!

This morning I woke up to my cell phone ringing. My mind was still not quite awake but I instinctively picked it up and looked at it. When I saw it was my sister's cell phone number, my mind snapped awake and I answered with a little excitement. The reason for the call and my excitement is that my niece is in the hospital ready to deliver her second child! In my family every birth is viewed as an event. All the cousins gather around the prospective parents to oooh and aaah about all events in the pregnancy and the impending birth.

Like my dad before me, I view every new baby and a special gift from God to be cherished and loved. As thrilled as I am about every new baby born into our family, I still can't help but think about what my dad's reaction would be. He adored his grandchildren and would have been beside himself with joy about his great-grandchildren. I've often told Candie that my dad would be at Fort Irwin at least two weekends a month to see Noah. It's the cycle of life and death I'm discovering...the joys of a new life and the sadness of losing a loved one. It's odd to me how closely they are linked.

For now I'm focused on the birth of the new baby. When there is news, I will write about it. God bless all mothers and babies everywhere.

No comments: