Thursday, January 31, 2013

Firsts and Lasts

It's Thursday evening which means Ray is bowling. It seems like just last week that, when Ray would bowl I'd be home with the kids watching while they did homework or running to Target for something they need for school. My how things have changed! These days David is usually gone visiting his girlfriend or attending a Honda meet. My usual companions on Thursday nights are Nicole and her boyfriend Chuck. I really enjoy spending time with them; they get along well and seem to enjoy each other's company very much. I remember when I used to bowl with Ray. The kids would go with us and have dinner at the bowling alley. In between bowling I would go and sit with them. It was fun for a while but then they got a little older and started staying home while we bowled. It's amazing how quickly that happened; one day they were always with me and the next they were old enough to stay home. Sometimes I see young mothers treating their kids like little adults. It breaks my heart because they don't realize that much too soon your children are adults and all you have are memories of them. I believe that "firsts" are important memories for children but "lasts" are important memories for parents. "Lasts" are: the last time you change their diaper, the last time you carry your child on your hip, the last time you give them a bath. Celebrate the "firsts" but treasure the "lasts". On another note, I've been complaining to Ray lately that I don't have anything of my own. In order to avoid becoming a whiny, needy woman I've decided to dedicate more time to my blog. I like writing because I never know where it's going to end up. Tonight I sat at my computer and started with one subject and ended up writing about something else entirely. I hope if you're reading this you'll follow my blog and leave a comment every once in a while. Please continue to pray for our troops overseas. Be good to your loved ones and yourself. God bless you!

No comments: